Whenever you feel, you’ve been exposed to asbestos, it is important to take it seriously. Instead of panicking, the first thing to do is rewind the clock and try to figure out the duration of exposure to asbestos. It is important to understand the duration of asbestos exposure to figure out the health issues that can cause by this material. If you happen to be exposed to asbestos, these are the things you need to do.
- Consult your Doctor – The first thing to do is visit a doctor. During your visit, you will be advised to undergo a few tests such as x-rays of the chest, CT scans etc. These tests are known to understand the condition of the lungs of the doctor and not to detect the presence of asbestos.
- Quit Smoking – If you smoke regularly or less often, then you need to quit smoking as soon as possible. Smoking offers zero benefits to our bodies while causing lung cancer. Moreover, getting exposed to asbestos leads to mild to severe health issues related to the lungs. Some of the problems caused by asbestos would be chest pains, coughing blood, difficulty in breathing etc.
- Continue Visiting your Doctor – Make sure you keep seeing your doctor apart from visiting just once. Be truthful to your doctor based on the questions you will be asked. You may also be recommended to take a pneumonia shot if you face problems like breathing difficulty, chest pains, etc.
In the region of Newcastle, asbestos removal is something that should be taken care of by a professional.
Before starting with the discussion around tools, it is recommended to hire experts for asbestos removal from your home. Even if you plan for DIY removal, you should analyze if you can remove the fibrous material yourself.
Asbestos Removal Aspects to Consider
Once you have decided to get asbestos removed from your place, you need to ensure it’s done the right way. First, evaluate how many sessions will the complete task need. This is crucial as you will need to get the required number of days off from work. Then, you will need some time to buy equipment. And this brings us to an essential aspect, the choice of the right tool for asbestos removal. Let’s go through what you should and shouldn’t consider on your list of equipment for the purpose.
Tools Not to Use for Asbestos Removal
You can check with laws at your place to know if there’s any specific regulation around the use of tools. For instance, NSW laws don’t allow using the following:
- Compressed air
- Instruments using high-pressure water spray and jets
- High-speed power tools such as drills, sanders, saws, and angle grinders
- Brooms and similar tools that can let asbestos escape into the air
There is an allowance for using some basic tools if they are:
- Enclosed during the time of usage
- Able to capture or suppress airborne particles
- Capable of safely capturing or suppressing airborne asbestos
And again, if you are planning for DIY removal, you should know how to use all those tools with proper gear. The best approach, in any case, is to hire professionals for asbestos inspection in Newcastle to detect the presence and plan successful removal.